Video poker currently ranks among the most popular casino games. Despite its relatively short history, it has won a permanent place in the hearts of both real-life players and online gamers.
As with every popular casino game, there are millions of video poker strategies and tricks to be found in books and online. Be advised that many of these video poker strategies can be detrimental to your game. Strategies will vary according to the game type you are playing, whether Multi-strike video poker or Jokers Wild video poker. Stay cautious when appropriating techniques, especially when someone tries to convince you that he has figured out a foolproof way to win at video poker. There is, in fact, no way to win at video poker every time. If there were, casinos wouldn’t exist.
With this in mind, Gambling City has compiled a number of video poker strategies and tips that are helpful and, if used properly, can transform you into a better video poker player.
Video Poker Tips – #1 Choose an online casino and online video poker game that suits you
- There are hundreds of different online casinos that offer hundreds of different online video poker games. Besides traditional Jacks of Better and Deuces Wild, Jokers Wild video poker and Multi-strike video poker have become popular alternatives for more seasoned players. It will likely take some searching until you find the perfect place to invest your money.
- Be sure not only to look for the best video poker machines, but to also consider the casino bonus cash and compensations the casino offers. This casino bonus cash enables you to compensate for potential losses and can even increase your bankroll. Only when you have found the best possible combination of casino game varieties and casino bonus cash should you start playing video poker. If you made these choices in an informed manner, your game will be more fun and more lucrative.
Video Poker Tips – #2 Do not adopt bogus video poker strategies
- When playing, never forget that there is no guaranteed way to win at video poker. It is a game of chance and when it comes to dealing the video poker cards there is simply no way to predict your hand before you have all five cards on screen.Some claim playing speed is crucial. We think this is a trick to induce errors in judgment as a result of playing too quickly. Video poker machines are based on random number generators and they are neither influenced by your playing speed nor by the video poker cards that you have already been dealt. The only thing you really can influence is how many video poker cards you discard and how much money you bet. If you play it right, stick to our video poker tips – and if you have chosen the right video poker machine – you can win at video poker in the long run and even turn a profit.
Video Poker Tips – #3 Manage your budget
- Always be aware of your finances! Before you start playing – every time – set aside your bankroll and stick to it. Abide by this rule no matter how much fun you're having, or how much you believe your luck is about to turn.
- To prevent excessive gaming heed this advice: Stop playing when you have depleted your bankroll.
- Always customize the amount of money you are starting to bet with according to your financial situation and always be prepared to loose it all.
- Consider how long you want to play before actually starting. This will allow you to extend your stay by placing bets in smaller increments. If you are aiming to rake in bigger winnings you will have to bet the maximum amount of credits possible. Most video poker machines offer you a better payout ratio when betting at max, but remember that this tactic will also burn through your bankroll pretty quickly if you hit a streak of bad luck.
All the above mentioned video poker tips are totally useless when you do not know how to play the game. You may have the best machine in the casino with great bonuses and a very suitable bankroll, but you still won’t win if you don't know how to acquire a winning hand.
This may sound ridiculously obvious, but there are many players who burn their cash for nothing because they don't know how to play effectively. Familiarize yourself with all the rules. Recognize the differences among game variations; Multi-strike video poker, for example, is different than Jokers Wild video poker. You cannot beat a game if you don't know its mechanisms and possible traps.
As soon as you know all the rules, learn about the strategies and the game’s odds. Video poker offers you a pretty good chance to make some profit, but in order to do so you will need to know what cards to discard in order to gain a winning hand. Read all the instructions in our video poker strategy section carefully and stick to them. Only then will you be on the right path. We also strongly recommend you practice your game with free video poker before you start an all night gambling session with your hard-earned money.
If you keep all these things in mind and play accordingly, you will improve your game and cut your losses. But the most important thing is this: you will enjoy the game. Good luck.